In addition to all the reasons in our series on Hiking, Camping, and Relationships, there are some more things that make hiking with your sweetheart superior to hiking with friends. In no particular order, here they are:
- Going out of the way to make each other’s time special. While friends can certainly be nice, a significant other is more likely to go out of their way for you. Whether, it’s me packing Patrick’s favorite meals or him making my tea, it’s nice to be spoiled. When you are out in the woods with no luxuries a little spoiling goes a long way.
- The teamwork you have at home carries into camp. With your partner you probably already have tasks that you split and those can translate easily to camp. I always cook and Patrick always helps and cleans up at home. When we are camping, he often will have things ready for me because he knows what I need and there’s no deciding who’s going to do the dishes.
- You can judge and accommodate each other’s moods better. If you are feeling discouraged on a challenging hike your partner is more likely to pick up on that than a friend. They are also more likely to know how to motivate you, cheer you up, or when you just need space.
- You take care of one another. Your buddy will probably help bandage you up if you are really hurt. For everything else though, you are probably on your own. Your partner might give you a massage when your muscles are sore, wipe off that soot on your nose, and brush the burrs out of your hair.
- You can be honest when you’ve had enough. That two mile incline is killing you but your friend is going on like the Energizer Bunny. You may have a harder time asking for a break from a friend. With your partner you can sit your butt down and know they won’t leave you behind. Heck, they may even carry some of your weight.
- It was a cold night and you wake up spooning for all your worth. Breakfast is a whole lot less awkward if you are with your significant other.
Let us know how you liked this article. Did we cover everything? Was this helpful to you? Is there a topic you wish we would cover. Let us know below, we love to hear your comments!