Warm and hearty, this stew makes an excellent meal after a cold day hiking. If you are going to be doing any fishing on your trip adding some fresh fish to the recipe will make it even tastier.
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup dried fish (order from Amazon through the link or find some at your local Asian market)
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- dash of dried thyme
- red pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried chopped celery
- 2 tablespoon dried sliced carrot
- 2 teaspoons bouillon powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato powder
- 1/2 cup instant mashed potatoes (kept separate)
Add all the ingredients to your lightweight container of choice keeping the instant potatoes separate. When you get to your campsite empty the container into your cooking pot and cover with about 3 cups of water. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until all ingredients are rehydrated. Remove from heat and add the potatoes while stirring to thicken the broth. Serves two.