Mouth-watering, tender, shredded pork, paired with creamy avocado slices, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime, all wrapped in a hot flour tortilla, eating carnitas is not merely sustenance but an experience. By far one of our favorite meals in this house. We aim to enjoy it every week.
Makes 4 generous portions
Ingredients for braising:
- 4-5 pounds of pork butt, cut into 3-4 inch chunks
- 1 can of beer
- 3 bay leaves
- zest of one line
- 6 large cloves of garlic roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
Ingredients to fry the meat:
- one large onion chopped
- Lawry’s garlic salt
- juice of one lime
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- fat skimmed from broth
Ingredients to serve with:
- warm flour tortillas
- 2 sliced avocados
- 2 limes sliced
- Cholula green sauce
- fresh cilantro with stems removed (or lettuce if you are one of those crazy people who think cilantro tastes like soap)
- sour cream (optional)
- queso fresco (optional)
- salt to taste
The first step is to braise the pork butt. This can be done in a slow cooker, a pot on the stove, or in a pressure cooker like the Instant Pot. If you are slow-cooking cook on high for about 6 hours. On the stove, you want to simmer the ingredients for at least four hours. In a pressure cooker, you will want to pressure cook 15 minutes for every pound of meat.
- Add all the braising ingredients to your pot and cook the time needed for your method. The meat is done when it shreds easily.
- When the meat is finished cooking take it out of the broth (reserve the broth) and shred the meat.
- Sprinkle with Lawry’s garlic salt, lime juice, and peppers.
- From the broth, skim off about two tablespoons of fat and place in saute pan. Save the rest of the broth to make Carnita Soup.
- Heat pan to medium-high heat and then add the meat and chopped onion. Sautee until the onion is soft.
To make your carnita, put a few ounces of carnita meat on a hot tortilla, a couple slices of avocado, a heap of cilantro, the juice of a slice of lime, some green sauce, and any of the other optional ingredients. Take a bite and enjoy your trip to mouth nirvana.