This soup is a great way to use up the delicious broth leftover from making carnitas. The broth has a full, rich flavor that makes an excellent base for this soup.
- 2 tablespoons of fat from refrigerated carnita broth
- 3 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- one large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 pint of mushrooms, halved and sliced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of great northern beans
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 chicken bouillion cube
- broth from making carnitas with fat discarded
- sour cream (optional)
- salt to taste
In a large pot, saute garlic, mushrooms, and onion over medium-high heat until onion is soft and translucent. Add the spinach and saute until they are cooked down. Add the remainder of the ingredients and let simmer about a half hour. Enjoy!